Making homemade pasta is one of our favorite family kitchen projects. Not only is it a lot of fun, it’s also prepper-friendly as you can make a large batch in advance and either freeze it or dehydrate it for later use.
Learn how to make your own ravioli!
We love adding marinara or meat sauce to our pasta, but we also love adding a cream or cheese sauce to our pasta. This recipe can be adapted for either a cream sauce or a cheese sauce recipe, depending on your mood.
- Animal fat (butter, bacon grease, or grease from ground beef)
- Chicken base
- Chicken broth (homemade is best!)
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Salt, pepper, nutmeg and other spices
- Medium sauce pan (we usually use our cast iron pan)
- Melt your fat in the pan over medium to medium high heat. For a 4-5 person serving, use about two tablespoons.
- Add about ¼ of a teaspoon of chicken base to the fat and mix it in. This adds extra flavor to the sauce.
- Sprinkle flour over the grease and mix it up with a whisk. Continue adding flour until you create a paste-like mixture. Stir the flour to keep it from burning.
- Cook the flour mixture (also known as a roux) for about 2-3 minutes. This eliminates the flour taste from the sauce.
- Pour in a small amount of chicken broth and stir with the whisk. If you have enough flour, the broth will turn into a play dough-like consistency.
- Keep adding chicken broth a bit at a time until you get a consistency that equals thick gravy.
- Pour in your cream. I am pretty generous with my cream amounts, but you can vary it based on taste. I use about a cup of cream for a sauce serving for 4-5. Stir the cream into the sauce mixture.
- Adjust the consistency of the sauce by adding more cream or chicken broth until it is the consistency that you like. Make the sauce slightly thinner than you want it if you plan to add cheese.
- Add in salt, pepper, and other spices to taste. We always add a tiny bit of nutmeg to ours. For some reason, this makes it taste extra amazing. If you do not want cheese, then your sauce is done!
- If you are adding cheese, add about ½ a cup of grated Parmesan and ½ a cup of shredded mozzarella. Mix the cheese into the sauce and stir until melted.
- Serve over your favorite pasta dish, such as ravioli.
- This sauce can be canned for future use, but does not freeze well.
This creamy alfredo or cheese sauce recipe is delicious alternative to red sauce on your pasta. You can make a large batch and can it for later.
Learn more from MomPrepares: