Your big day is less than a week away and you are experiencing major anxiety pangs at the moment. Right from choosing a glamorous outfit for the day or planning a memorable dinner date with your beau, the long list of to-do’s before your big day is definitely one of the biggest reasons behind your sleepless nights and resultant dark circles. To add on to your long list of worries, you spot an eruption of a huge pimple on your face. Life couldn’t get any worse, could it? Well, it sure could get better! Before you hit the panic button and curse your stars, head to your kitchen and reach out for these all natural skin magicians.
Here are 5 essential fruits that will help rejuvenate your skin and give you a stunning glow on the big day:
1. Papaya – This exotic tropical fruit combines the benefits of almost all skin care creams that are stocked in your beauty vanity. The digestive enzyme peptin contained in papaya is known to cure skin ailments like acne breakouts, dry skin, sagging skin and wrinkles, thus giving your skin a radiant glow. It is also rich in antioxidants vitamins C, E and A that reduce inflammation and prevent skin damage caused by free radicals. Vitamin C aids in the production of the connective tissue collagen that increases the skin’s elasticity. Papaya is an excellent exfoliant too.
Face Mask Recipe – Take half a ripe papaya and mix it with two tablespoons of honey to make an intense moisturizing and brightening mask. You could also add a teaspoon of salt to the mix to make an exfoliating rub. Wash it off with cold water after 10 minutes.
Learn more: How To Make Natural Beauty Products
2. Banana – This is one fruit to totally go bananas over. Bananas are a rich source of vitamins A, C, E and B that contain restorative properties and prevent free radical damage. It also contains essential minerals like iron, potassium and zinc. Potassium helps hydrate and moisturize your skin while zinc fights germs that lead to acne. In fact, even banana peel is extremely beneficial for skin health as it contains a number of antioxidants that relieve itching, inflammation, acne, reduce premature aging signs and improve skin tone.
Face Mask Recipe – Mash one banana and mix it with one tablespoon each of pureed avocado and olive oil to give your skin a glow. You could also mash the peel along with the skin. Wash it off with cold water after 10 minutes.
3. Lime – You must love the fresh, citrusy flavor of lime in your foods, but have you ever pondered on its health and beauty benefits? Lime is one of the cheapest and the most effective skin care remedies available. It is one of the best ingredients to reduce bacterial activity on skin owing to its antibacterial properties. The citric acid contained in lime helps remove the layer of dead skin cells from your face, making your skin appear fresher and renewed. It also prevents the clogging up of pores that cause an outbreak of acne.
Face Mist Recipe – Squeeze a lemon into a spray bottle with ice cold water and shake it well. Spray the mist on your face after cleansing it daily for healthier and fresher skin.
Read more: Homemade Face and Body Lotion Recipes
4. Apple – An apple a day keeps skin problems away! Apple is rich vitamin C which helps boost collagen production and tightens your skin. It also a natural source of pectin that keeps acne at bay. The vitamin A contained in apples helps reduce risk of skin cancer. Its copper content helps in production of melanin – a pigment that gives your skin an even tone and provides a protective layer against the harmful UV rays.
Face Mask Recipe – Mash an apple and mix it with one tablespoon of sugar and four cups of milk. Apply it on your face for 15 minutes and wash it off with cold water.
5. Pomegranate – Juicy red pomegranates make a yummy snack. What’s even better is that this salubrious fruit can give you a younger looking skin you’ve been dying to have. It is packed with antioxidants, vitamins K and C, potassium, copper, zinc and iron. The antioxidants in pomegranate reduce inflammation and subsequent acne breakouts. Its polyphenol content protects your cells against oxidative stress caused by UV rays leading to wrinkles, dark spots and fine lines and even help repair DNA damage. The vitamin C content in pomegranate boosts the production of collagen making the skin look plumper and firmer.
Face Mask Recipe – Crush a few pomegranate seeds and mix it with one tablespoon of yogurt. Apply it on your face and leave on for 20 minutes. Wash off with cold water for a lighter and brighter skin tone.
As your skin soaks up the goodness of these beauty boosters, ensure you also add them generously in your diet. Indulge in at least 3 portions of these fruits everyday to see desired results. In addition, include physical activity in your daily routine and keep yourself hydrated. Avoid stress as it can further aggravate skin problems like acne. The key to beautiful skin lies in a healthy mind and body.
About Vineetha Reddy: Being a regular practitioner and adviser of everything related to nutrition, fitness, health and wellness, I also have begun to write and contribute to this knowledge ecosystem. I strongly believe that the ingredients you find in your pantry provide the best benefits for good health. Follow me on Twitter for my best ideas and solutions: @rk_vin or stop by my blog, HealthBeckon.com.
Image Credits: Limes – Flickr User bennohansen, Pomeganates – Flickr user 74444001@N00, Apples – Flickr user royalty-free-images, Papaya – Flickr user geishaboy500, Bananas – Flickr user stankuns.
MomPrepares loves to join link-ups and meet other bloggers. Here is the list of our favorite link-ups so you can participate too!