Halloween is coming up fast and heck, even if it is not Halloween, making shrunken apple heads is fun to do!
You can use your shrunken apple heads to decorate the home or at the start of a party, place the shrunken heads in the punch bowl, it’ll sure be a hit! Be sure to make the punch in the recipe below because not only will this punch help to keep your apples looking good, it is a healthy drink.
You can get apples at the grocery store, at a local farm, or if you are fortunate enough to have a wild apple tree growing in a nearby field then collecting free apples is even better!
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 8 firm apples (any variety)
- In a large bowl, stir together water, lemon juice and salt until the salt is totally dissolved.
- Peel and cut the apples in half lengthwise and remove the stem. Using a small spoon remove the apple core and seeds. Place apples in lemon mixture and be sure they are totally soaked in the lemon mixture.
- Using a sharp-tipped knife, carve out eye sockets, mouth, nose, and ears on the curved side. Return to the lemon mixture and make sure the entire apple is coated. Let sit in the lemon mixture for minimum 20 minutes or you can leave it in for up to one hour.
- Drain the apples and pat dry; arrange, carved side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan or on a baking sheet. Use cloves for eyes if desired.
- Bake at 250°F until you see the apple heads shrinking and the edges are lightly browned. This will take up to 2 or 3 hours. Cool on rack.
- 6 cups pasteurized organic apple cider
- 1 frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- ice cubes (optional)
- In a punch bowl, combine the apple cider, undiluted lemonade concentrate, and ice cubes. Float your apple heads in the punch and enjoy!