We’ve all had days when everything is happening at once, or the stress of a situation is effecting our emotions as well as our muscles. And some nights, no matter how tired we are, we just can’t sleep. I know my body goes through cycles and a couple weeks out of the year I seriously wonder how my body continues to function on so little sleep.
Since learning about essential oils I’ve been using them in my home on a daily basis and my kids and I are quick to turn to the oils when we’re unable to sleep or we find ourselves restless or anxious.
Essential Oils & Blends for Relaxation
Many essential oils are known for their calming effects. Here are a few of my favorite oils and some blends of oils that are known to lift moods and reduce anxiety and stress.
- Lavender – Widely used to its calming and relaxing qualities. Eases muscle tension in the head and neck. Definitely a favorite in our house. We use this one on our temples, in our pillowcases and in the diffuser.
- A Tension Blend – of Wintergreen, Lavender, Peppermint, Frankincense, Cilantro, Marjoram, Roman Chamomile, Basil and Rosemary oils in a rollerball applicator stays on my kitchen counter and is used several times a day across the back of my neck and shoulders, which is where I carry all my stress.
- Citrus blend – Invigorating blend of Wild Orange, Lemon, Grapefruit, Mandarin, Bergamot, Tangerine and Clementine with Vanilla. Helps reduce stress and anxiety. Positively effects mood. I have a lotion scented with this blend and I’m completely addicted to it’s soft refreshing aroma.
- Wild Orange – Energizing and revitalizing to the mind and body. This is my most-used oil and is in my diffuser more than any other.
- Grounding Blend – of Spruce, Rosewood, Frankincense and Blue tansy. Promotes whole body relaxation. Evokes feelings of tranquility and balance.
- Calming blend – of Lavender, Sweet Marjoram, Roman Chamolile, Ylang Ylang and Hawaiian Sandalwood with Vanilla Bean. Supports restful sleep.
- Clary Sage – Known for its mood lifting properties
- A joyful blend – featuring Lavandin, Tangerine, Elemi, Lemon Myrtle, Melissa, Ylang Ylang, Osmanthus and Hawaiian Sandalwood.
- Ylang Ylang – Lifts mood while having a calming effect.
Using a Diffuser for Essential Oils
For everyday use I like to put a few drops of oil in some water in my little diffuser. This makes the entire room smell amazing and quickly changes the mood of everyone in the room. When the kids are restless because of a storm or they’re sick I put some Lavender or Wild Orange oil in the diffuser and let it run all day.
Note: When using purse essential oils you do not want to heat them. So, choose a diffuser that ionizes, breaking the oil and water into mini-particles and dispersing them through the air instead of heating and creating steam. I have and love this ZAQ Noor Litemist Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser.
Applying Essential Oils Topically
Most soothing oils are gentle and can be applied ‘neat’ which means without dilution. Simply put a drop or two of your favorite calming oil on your finger tips and rub on your temples, forehead and the back of your neck. Be sure to keep it away from your eyes.
Essential Oils in Your Pillowcase
Quite possibly my favorite way to use oils at bedtime is to put 3-4 drops of the desired oil on a piece of paper towel, then tuck that into my pillowcase. This keeps it close to my face all night and my body heat helps to diffuse the aroma right where I need it. We use Lavender when we’ve been having difficulty sleeping or the kids are having a restless night. When any of us is sick I use Lavender and some respiratory blend, or Eucalyptus to help open our airways and stop the coughing that keeps us up all night. The kids will actually ask for oils in their pillowcases when they’re not feeling good because they realize how much it helps them.
Essential Oils in Your Bath
Add 3-4 drops of oil to a nice warm bath and enjoy a relaxing soak in the tub. Mix in some Epsom salts if you have them!