When I was growing up some friends of ours would make this fabulous rolled sandwich. I was never real crazy about the salami version, but when my mom started making it with turkey pastrami instead, or used pepperoni, I became a huge fan of salami bread!
It had been over 10 years since I had salami bread when I decided to make some myself for my own family. My husband loves it. Besides for being amazing just out of the oven it’s a great make-ahead dish that you can slice and freeze to thaw and reheat later. It’s also great for picnic lunches, those one-the-way dinners and for snacking. I prefer it warm, but my husband and sons will eat it cold!
My Favorite Sweet Roll Recipe is what I use to make this, but you can use your favorite bread recipe!
- After your bread dough has risen and been kneaded, take about a large loaf's worth and roll out to about 1/4 inch thick.
- 1 can chopped olives
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 t italian seasoning
- 2 t basil
- Mix well.
- 1 package sliced smoked provolone cheese
- 1/4lb sliced turkey pastrami
- Lay a layer of each, sliced smoked provolone and sliced turkey pastrami, on top the 'dressing' and roll the whole thing up like you would cinnamon rolls. Pinch the edges and ends closed.
- Bake at 325 till the bread is nice and golden and crunchy on the bottom. Let cool on the pan for about 15 minutes before slicing so you don't burn yourself and so the bread doesn't fall.