Everyone loves mac n cheese. We may like different brands or mom’s homemade, but it seems be be one of those comfort foods everyone adores. Well, we’re here today with a mac n cheese recipe for bacon lovers. It’s loaded with crunchy real bacon, has just a twinge of warmth from jalapenos and is a hit with adults and kids alike.
Bacon Macn n’ Cheese
- 1 lb macaroni pasta, cooked and drained
- 3 cups milk
- 2 jalapenos, seeds removed
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 5 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 16 oz shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- ground black pepper
- 10 slices bacon, cut into small pieces and cooked.
- 1 large onion diced
- Milk, jalapenos, 2 cloves of garlic (crushed) and 2 tablespoons (about 2 sprigs) fresh thyme. While cooking use your spoon to crush the peppers and thyme to help release the flavors. DO NOT boil the milk. Just heat enough to release flavors.
- Strain the milk to remove the peppers and thyme.
- Melt butter and stir in flour. Gradually add milk while cooking to make a thick sauce. Add cheese, reserving a little to garnish with. Season to taste with black pepper
- Stir together sauce, pasta and half the bacon. Dump into glass 9×11 baking dish.
- Saute onions in the bacon grease. When onions are almost done, add remaining garlic and thyme and half of the bacon. Garnish the mac n cheese with topping and remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.