Are you tired of blueberries yet? We love blueberry muffins and blueberry jam, but I wanted to try something I could take with me to a dinner party that we could enjoy with coffee… something not too sweet, but more special than muffins. So, I decided to make blueberry lemon bread.
When I sliced into this I was pretty disappointed that it hadn’t risen much. I don’t know why I was thinking it should be kinda soft and crumbly like a coffee cake… it has 6 eggs for crying out loud! I thought about not sharing the recipe and working on it some more. Then I tasted it. And, when I took it to dinner and everyone raved about it? I realized we had a winner. Yes, I’d still like to make a light and crumbly version, but this will remain one of our favorite treats!
Since I had some fresh raspberries on hand we tried one small loaf with those instead of the blueberries. It was amazing that way too!
Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Blend
A dense and moist blueberry bread that is filling and sweet.
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 2 cups honey
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 6 eggs
- 9 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Combine and mix the butter, honey and eggs. Beat till blended. Add and mix in the milk, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Mix dry ingredients and add to the wet. Mix gently.
- Fold in the berries.
- Spoon mixture into 3 greased medium sized loaf pans or 6 mini-loaves.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the pans.
- Mix the lemon juice and powdered sugar icing and drizzle over the tops of the loaves. This will harden as the bread cools.
- Slice and serve!
We made one loaf with fresh raspberries instead of blueberries and it turned out equally delicious!
You could also try adding some nuts to this bread for a little crunch.