What is gluten free and tastes like a pumpkin cream cheese roll, but isn’t rolled? Is it a pumpkin torte? Or a pumpkin cream cheese layer cake? What would you call it?
Going gluten free has been a real adventure for me. I refuse to use the weird gums that bind things together, so I either make something as similar as I can to normal grains, or I don’t eat it. Which means, you’ll find this recipe is very simple. It’s also less likely to roll up neatly like a normal pumpkin roll, which is why I made mine in layers. The texture and flavor is just like your classic pumpkin roll, but the cake part cracks easily. So, I recommend planning to layer this like I have. It’s just as pretty, I promise!
Gluten Free Pumpkin Cream Cheese Torte
A delightfully light and fluffy gluten-free version of the traditional pumpkin cream cheese roll.
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 4 tbs coconut sugar
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2/3 block of cream cheese
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar (more or less depending on how sweet you want it!)
- Combine and mix well all wet ingredients and coconut sugar.
- Mix in dry ingredients.
- Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper and spread the batter evenly.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove from oven and gently lift edges of baking paper and transfer the cake to a cooling rack. Cover with a dishtowel so the cake cools slowly and you don’t lose too much moisture.
- When the cake is completely cooled remove the towel and gently flip the cake onto a large cutting board. Gently peel off the baking paper and cut the cake into fourths.
- Cream ingredients together and taste. Add more powdered sugar if needed.
- Using two spatulas, gently move one piece of the cake to a platter. Spread 1/3 of the filling over the cake. Repeat steps till the final piece of cake is in place. Sprinkle with powdered sugar for a garnish.
For great gluten free breads, cakes, cookies and pastries, pick up a copy of Every Last Crumb: Paleo Bread and Beyond by Brittany Angell!