My children and I are snackers. We have our regular three meals a day, but we snack in-between them and we try to keep our snacks healthy. For years I thought granola bars were a good healthy snack. Till I started reading the ingredients and finding most of them are filled with sugars, HFCS and cheap fillers like puffed rice. No wonder they weren’t keeping us full! This is when I decided to stop buying granola bars and experiment with making my own healthy granola bars that taste good.
There’s no wrong way to make your own granola bars.
My cousin eats all raw foods. When she makes bars of any kind she dries them in her dehydrator. I prefer to bake mine on a low setting, very long and slow, till they’re chewy. Some people like them crunchy so they create a thinner bar and bake them at a higher temperature.
Healthy Granola Bars
A quick and easy whole-foods recipe the whole family will love!
- 3 Ripe Bananas
- 1/2 C Honey
- 1/2 C Unsweetened All Natural Peanut Butter
- 1 t Real Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 C Milled Flax Seed
- 1 1/3 C Rolled Oats (Quick or Minute)
- 1/2 C Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
- 1/2 C Chopped Nuts
- 1/2 C Mini Chocolate Morsels
- Mixture will be very thick. If it isn’t, add more oats!
- Line a 9×13″ (or slightly smaller) baking dish with parchment paper. Press the mixture into the pan. I’ve used an empty metal can to roll it out or just pressed it with a firm rubber spatula. It’s sticky and messy, but it will bake just fine!
- Bake at 300 degrees till the mixture has turned light brown and crisp on top. This can take up to an hour, but 45 minutes may be enough.
- Let cool and cut with a plastic spatula. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Will stay good much longer if frozen, but ours never last long enough to store.
I tend to consider chocolate a food group, but I know that many healthy eaters don’t agree. So, if you want to cut those out, chopped raisins, dried cranberries or dried apricots would taste good too! You just want a little something sticky and sweet to make these special.
Granola bars can be a healthy, protein and fiber packed snack and taste good too.
Just because they’re healthy doesn’t mean they’re nasty. No! These granola bars are made of ingredients that each taste good on their own or in other things. There are plenty of natural sugars in the bananas and honey and the mini chocolate morsels add just enough sweet and decadence to make you feel like you’re eating a cookie.