Lemon essential oil is one of my favorite oils. It is versatile and has such a fresh clean scent. There are hundreds of lemon essential oil uses, but I want to stick to a few of my personal favorites.
Disclaimer: Please note that not all essential oils are safe for internal use. If you intend to consume essential oils, please use a brand that is certified pure and safe for internal use. I’d also like to take this time to be sure you know that I am not a doctor or healthcare provider. I do not and can not make health claims and recommendations. I only want to share what has worked for my family and how oils have blessed us on our journey to good health!
Lemon Essential Oil for Allergies & Coughs
1. Allergy Blend – Lemon aids the body in the breakup of mucus and drying out of sinuses, making it a great addition to your natural medicine cabinet. I like to use 2-3 drops each of lemon, lavender and peppermint in a glass of water or a capsule a few times a day when I’m suffering from seasonal allergies. This blend clears me up in 10-20 minutes and keeps me functioning when the pollen is flying. I also use lemon in my essential oil flu bomb!
2. Honey and Lemon – When you have a sore throat nothing coats and calms it like warm water with a tablespoon of honey. Mix in 3 drops of lemon essential oil to help break up mucus, rehydrate you and kill germs and you’ve got what my boys call a “hot lemonade.” My 7 and 3 year old ask for this at least twice a day when they don’t feel good because it really does work to sooth your throat and minimize coughing.
Food and Drinks with Lemon Essential Oil
3. Drink More Water with Lemon – It’s rare you meet a person who actually drinks enough water. We all struggle with this daily. Personally I drink very little besides water. Even so, I’m always coming to the end of the day and realizing just how little I’ve consumed. On the days I remember to put a drop or two of one of my favorite citrus oils into my water I’ve done much better. Because of this I keep a bottle of lemon, lime or grapefruit essential oil on my window sill near the water filter. When I refill my glass water bottle I can add a few drops of oil to it and stir. Lemon and grapefruit are my favorite and I rotate the bottles so I don’t get tired of them!
Note: It’s important to always use glass with essential oils. Many, especially citrus oils, will eat away at plastic or foam. You don’t want to drink that.
I Recommend: Retap Reusable Glass Water Bottles
4. Use in Baked Goods – On the off-seasons, citrus can be pretty pricy, so I only buy it when I need it for a planned recipe. When I make something that’s not on the meal plan I use my essential oils! Lemon is great in baked goods as well as fish, chicken and pasta dishes. Keep in mind that it’s very strong and you only need a few drops! I use it in place of a splash of lemon juice or lemon rind in a recipe.
5. Salad Dressings – A few drops of lemon in some high quality olive oil makes a fantastic salad dressing that is healthy and delicious!
Cleaning with Lemon Essential Oil
6. Lemon and Vinegar Cleaner – One of my favorite experiments last year was soaking lemon rinds in vinegar for a few weeks to make my own household cleaner. At that time I had an abundance of rinds thanks to a friend who sent me a whole box of lemons which I juiced and froze for later use. On a normal day I wouldn’t have very many rinds and saving up enough to make even a quart of cleaner would take me a while! So, I put white vinegar in a spray bottle and add about 10 drops of lemon essential oil for a fresh scent!
7. Dusting Polish – Mix 10 drops of lemon essential oil with 1/2 cup of fractionated coconut oil or another favorite liquid oil and put in a fine mist spray bottle. Use to polish your wood furniture. Works wonderfully and smells good too!
8. Air Freshener – Lemon is a natural order eliminator. I use slices of lemon and a few ice cubes to de-stink my garbage disposal all the time. You can use a few drops of lemon essential oil in a glass spray bottle of water set on a light mist or put some in your essential oil diffuser for a natural air freshener that will leave you feeling refreshed too!
9. Sticky-Remover – I’m not sure what else to call this. Straight up lemon essential oil is like natural goo-be-gone. If you’ve got wax, tape or sticker residue on something, rub a little lemon oil on it, let it sit a minute, then rub it off! I’ve used this many times on my counter top and I love it!
You’ll also enjoy: Clean Naturally with Essential Oils
What are your favorite uses for lemon essential oil?
Leave me a comment below telling me how you and your family use lemon essential oil! I’m always looking for new ways to incorporate my favorite oils into our daily routine!