This is a recipe I’ve adapted from a dutch oven cookbook. I’ve made these as rolls, in a dutch oven, over coals and they are fantastic! But, they’re also great made at home in your own oven! I use this recipe when I’m making cinnamon rolls or salami bread.
My Favorite Sweet Roll Recipe
A sweet moist dough that makes excellent rolls, but it’s also a great base for salami bread, cinnamon rolls and more!
- 1 c very warm water
- 2 packages or 2 1/2 T yeast
- 1 c milk
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1/2 c honey
- 6 T melted butter
- 1/3 t salt
- 7 cups white wheat flour (I use Prairie Gold)
- Let rise till double. Punch down and knead for about 15 minutes.
- Divide into golf ball sized pieces and roll into balls.
- Set the balls on a greased baking sheet or cast iron skillet. Bake at 350 degrees till done.
- If making salami bread or cinnamon rolls, divide the dough into 3 chunks, each enough for one roll.
- This dough can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week so you can break off chunks and bake fresh rolls for any meal!