After you hear that I’ve been to the doctor’s office this week for a steroid shot, you’re probably going to ask why you should listen to my advice on treating poison ivy…
I’ll tell you why.
I’m highly allergic to poison ivy. I can pretty much look at the vine and end up with a rash. For the past 14+ years of my, life I’ve battled it and always won, naturally. This time, the stuff got in my bloodstream and spread and began crawling up my face… Not a good thing! So, for the first time ever, I consulted with a doctor and got a shot.
Natural Poison Ivy Treatment – Cheaper Than Your Co-Pay
So long as you don’t have a rash on your face, and the rash isn’t spreading after a few days, you should be fine to treat it naturally with apple cider vinegar. Just put some in a spray bottle and mist the rash a few times a day, or pour it onto a paper towel and gently wipe or blot the area. Let the vinegar air dry.
Yes, it will sting like nobody’s business, but just for a few seconds. Once the area is dry, it actually feels better and it takes the itch out for several hours. The vinegar acts as a drying agent, removing oils from your skin and keeping the rash dry so that it heals instead of getting pussy and then scabby.
Normally, regular applications of vinegar will clear up a poison ivy rash in 3-4 days! (Of course, if your rash gets worse, or doesn’t get better, consult a doctor)
Some other things to consider when dealing with poison ivy:
- Don’t use lotions or moisturizing soaps. The idea is to keep the infected area dry. The drier the better!
- Don’t scratch that itch! While this can be hard, it’s worth it. Many people end up with scars after the rash is gone, simply because they scratched a lot. Scratching, while it feels good at the moment, actually irritates the rash, making it hurt worse in the long run. It also opens up the sores so that any treatment, especially vinegar, stings much worse.
- Remain cool. Stay in the shade, use the air conditioner, and take cool showers. Hot showers feel good while the hot water is running on the rash, but just like itching, it will make it hurt more in the long run.
- Wash with lye soap or vinegar if you think you’ve come in contact with the plant, or oils from other surfaces, such as your husband’s clothes. Ahem.
- Wash clothing right away, dumping about a cup of vinegar into the wash to help get the plant’s oils out of the fabric.
Do your kids know what Poison Ivy looks like? You might enjoy this article, 10 Simple Ways to Teach Kids about Poison Ivy.