If you have had an eczema ﬂare-up in the past, it’s best to avoid harsh substances.
Steroid creams are commonly used to treat eczema.
Some known side effects of using steroid creams over a long period of time are high blood pressure, bone thinning, ﬂuid collection in the lungs, and Cushing’s Syndrome (abnormally high levels of the hormone cortisol in your bloodstream), so having a natural alternative like this homemade eczema cream is deﬁnitely a good idea.
Benefits: Turmeric contains curcumin, which will help to prevent itchiness and swelling. It is one of the best known eczema treatments and offers relief to dry itchy skin.
Zinc oxide has anti-inﬂammatory and antibacterial properties, making it a great option in the aid of healing and soothing eczema.
Tips and Tricks: If you have eczema on your hands, wear a pair of breathable cotton gloves to bed after applying the cream. This will help the cream to penetrate deeper into your skin.
How to Use: Rub a thick layer over affected area.
Level of Difficulty: MediumPrint
- 1/2 cup shea butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp aloe vera
- 1 tbsp zinc oxide
- 1 tsp turmeric root oil
- 8 drops chamomile essential oil
Tools & Supplies
- Double boiler (or use a pot and metal bowl)
- Measuring cup and spoons
- Dust mask (or surgical face mask)
- Rubber spatula
- Sanitized jar
- Use a double boiler, or make one by adding water to a pot and placing a metal bowl over pot.
- Place shea butter into the double boiler and melt over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and add in remaining ingredients. Carefully add the zinc oxide and stir to combine.
- Scrape cream into your container.
*BREATHING IN ZINC OXIDE POWDER CAN CAUSE METAL FUME FEVER, WHICH WILL GIVE YOU FLU-LIKE SYMPTOMS THAT CAN LAST FOR 6-24 HOURS. TAKE PRECAUTIONS, AND WEAR A PROTECTIVE MASK WHEN USING THIS SUBSTANCE.
- Category: First Aid
Keywords: eczema cream,eczema recipes,eczema treatment,natural eczema cream
Share on Pinterest